CLACTON AND HOLLAND BEACH HUT ASSOCIATION
Minutes from meeting Saturday May11th 2019
Present: Heather Davis - Chair
Ray Lafferty – Treasurer / Membership Secretary
Teresa Ryland – Minute Secretary
Yana Humpreys -TDC
Steve Gove - TDC
1) Apologies: Richard and Liz Woodfield, Jan Rodwell, Sue and Chris Wade, Doris Bailey
2) Minutes from 5th May 2018 -no matters arising – Matters from end of year meeting October 2018 – Bottle bank still not in place, Ray reported that at the recent TDC beach hut meeting TDC reported that they were looking into this.
3) Financial report – Membership is currently just under 200. A shortfall on the year’s actvities of £932 was reported, although the association’s assets comfortably cover this. Ray invited members to look at the finances after the meeting. Ray gave an update on the security guards and that they operate 365 days of the year between 19.00hrs and 07.00hrs doing spot checks. Ray proposed the continuation of the security guard for a further year. There was one vote against the proposal resulting in agreement.
4) Report from Chair-Firstly some very sad news. I am very sorry to have to report to the members of the Association that our previous Chair Lady - Pat Clarke passed away on 10 April this year. The Beach Hut association was very close to her heart and she served on the committee for over ten years and she will be very sadly missed. I was in awe of her phenomenal memory, just mention a hut number and she would be able to say the name of the person owning it or the same in reverse, mention the name of someone and the beach hut number would be forthcoming - I’m afraid my memory is not that good so have not filled her shoes very well on that score. Pat received good care and support from the St Helena Hospice so the Committee have made a donation to them in her memory. Our condolences, love and support
go to Bill, Pat’s husband.
(I have an order of service from her funeral if anyone would like to see it)
We certainly had a lovely summer last year and a mild winter enabling everyone to get the most use out of their huts, certainly up to the end of August when work started on stabilising the cliffs in the Kings Avenue area. Yana and Scot from Tendring DC will no doubt bring us up to date with the progress so far and most importantly to us, when will the huts be returned to the lower promenade for us to use again.
The season culminated in the usual excellent air show display when Clacton seems to come alive each year.
The Community Guard continue to patrol each night at random times and Ray will be talking more about that later on and we vote on whether to continue this for a further 12 months.
Let me introduce the Committee to you. We have the Chair me, Ray Lafferty Treasurer, Teresa Ryland Minute Secretary and Ian Neville which is 4 people, you will also see on the top table 2 silent extra members I will introduce to you, Ted and HoneyBun who attend meetings to make up numbers and have been sworn in as Ex Officio. These bring the quorum up to the numbers required for committee meetings. Pat Lafferty and Ivy who have done sterling work in the provision of excellent refreshments for the committee and the membership at various meetings are co-opted on to the Committee as well as required.
If you are not happy with this arrangement, then I suggest you put yourself forward to take a turn on the committee. Elections will follow later in this meeting.
We meet regularly, are all volunteers, attend the Tendring Council Beach Hut meetings with the other Beach Hut Associations and try and ensure that our huts are kept safe and everyone using them has the best times.
I would like to thank the existing committee members for all their help and support, their help is invaluable as well as their enthusiasm and especially for managing the end of season meeting last October when I was unable to attend due to health issues, I wouldn’t have been able to read my report without coughing after every couple of words so thank you all for stepping in at very short notice. I for one am looking forward to the delicious tea they have prepared for us to enjoy at the close of the formal part of the meeting - so thank you in advance.
We have been quite fortunate in that we have had no major issues to report and the Committee are all happy to continue to try to look after things on your behalf.
Here’s to a great 2019 season!
5)- Questions from members
Q -Does the committee have any plans to recruit new members
A -Flyers were put through the beach huts to encourage new members and there were spare flyers for members to take.
Q -The membership cards fade in the sun.
A -Contact Ray and he will send out a new card.
Q- Website not working
A -Currently being updated
Q -Can accounts be sent to membership
A- Once the website is accessible, accounts will be on the website and they will be sent out with the minutes.
6) Election of Committee – Chair invited beach hut members to become part of the committee, no one came forward. Chair asked for a show a hands to re elect the existing committee. All members agreed.
6) Guests– Steve Gove, TDC Operations Manager
Q -The hole in the bin for rubbish on Block A is too small resulting in bags of rubbish being left by the bins.
A -This is the responsibility of Environmental Services – TDC will send the answer to the Committee to pass on to the members.
Q -Is it possible to have a bottle bank
A -This is the responsibility of Environmental Services – TDC will inform the Committee of their response.
Q- What can be done about the amount of sand on the promenade
A -Extra sand was put on the beach 5 years ago which has resulted in the wind blowing snd onto the promenade. It is not realistic to move the sand during the winter months. TDC are in conversation with Vieolia whose responsibility it is to remove the sand.
Q -There have been sightings of rats in A section.
A -The contractor is putting baiting boxes down and the cliff stabilisation work may have disturbed the rats. Members to notify TDC on where rats are seen.
Q -A block have tap and drain problems thought to be due to sand and waste products.
A -TDC are aware of this problems and considering solutions including a grill with basket and signage.
Q -What is happening about the weeds on the steps
A -This is the responsibility of Open Spaces Department.
Q -There is no water in Block D
A -DC will look into a new supply line.
Q -When will the huts go back onto the beach?
A -The cliff stabilisation project will be finished by the end of the summer. There will be no bigger gap between the beach huts and there will be extra beach huts.
Q-When will toilets be open?
A-When the cliff stabilisation project is finished.
Q-The signs for “no dogs on the beach” are too small and can a sign be put on the beach?
A-TDC do not want too many signs restricting people and consider that most people abide by the regulations. They will speak to the Environmental Department.
Steve reported that TDC operate a 24/7 standby system for all beach huts.
TDC were asked if there can be more regular beach patrols. TDC responded to say that there are 2 patrols a day and they are considering extending the patrol to Holland on Sea.
A further concern was raised about cyclists on the promenade and the dangers they present. Once the cliff stabilisation project is finished TDC are looking to make the upper promenade a dedicated cycle route and the lower promenade for pedestrians.
CLACTON AND HOLLAND BEACH HUT ASSOCIATION
BALANCE SHEET AS AT 31 MARCH 2019
Office Equipment 412 1
Cash at Bank 9863 10483
Prepaid expenditure 142 150
Creditors : amount falling due
within one year
Sundry Creditors 335 160
Subscriptions received in advance 1680 1140
TOTAL ASSETS LESS CURRENT
LIABILITIES 8402 9334
CAPITAL AND RESERVES
Balance brought forward 9334 9666
(Deficit) for the year (932) (332)
MEMBERS FUNDS 8402 9334
NB The above figures form part of the audited accounts for the association. As the website is open to view by the general public, certain information has not been included, this in no way impacts upon the veracity of the above figures. If any member requires additional details they should apply to the Secretary/Treasurer.
CLACTON & HOLLAND ON SEA BEACH HUT ASSOCIATION
END OF SEASON MEETING
Held at at Tendring Disrict Scout Group HQ
Saturday 19thOctober 2019
Present Heather Davis : Chair
Ray Lafferty: Treasurer /Membership Secretary
Pat Lafferty, Ivy Court
Apologies Teresa Ryland , Miriam Denis, Mrs Hayward, Mrs Birch, Mrs Yeung, Mrs Alexander, Mrs Smith, Susan & Chris Wade, Sue & Laurie Snell and Bill Clarke. Apologies also received from Ryans Insurance, Woodcover, Community Guard, and Tendring District Council, the last named having informed us that they will only attend these meetings once a year from now on.
Minutes of The AGM: Were summarised and agreed as correct
Matters Arising: The major items related to questions passed to TDC which had not been responded to by the council. This aspect would be covered under Members Questions.
Chair’s Report Heather welcomed the members and read her report (See attached)> She mentioned that two members of the committee , including herself, intended to resign at the next AGM and asked for anyone interested in serving on the committee to contact her.
Secretary/Treasurer’s Ray reported on the current increase in membership to 230 and referred to Report the non-attendance of anyone from TDC. He also mentioned the accident suffered by George Wright of Community Guard and hoped he would soon be recovered.
He gave some detail of the way we used Community Guard to protect the huts, and stressed that it was important that the membership certificates were displayed on the huts to enable the security firm to identify member’s huts in case of need. In this connection he was aware that some forms had faded in the summer and had prepared some replacements which were available at the meeting. However he was pleased to report that the number of incidents reported by Community Guard had reduced from last year. He also stressed that the patrols were often carried out on foot at times at present due to the amount of sand on the promenade in places.
Ray mentioned that the Association’s emergency telephone was being well used, although he was having problems in that the local police were phoning when there was a problem with huts, not necessarily belonging to members of the Association. Apparently the police have been unable to obtain addresses for hut owners from TDC. He suggested that CHBHA could advise the Police of members’ addresses but only with member’s permission. At this point Heather asked for a show of hands from the attendees and the suggestion was agreed with an overwhelming majority.
Heather opened the meeting to questions from the floor, (for the sake of brevity and clarity the Committee’s response is referred to as coming from Ray)
A71 Member reported having seen rats in the vicinity of his hut, He had approached TDC (Mike Cross) who also promised to install a humane trap but had not done this. Other members mentioned having seen rats, mice, and even a fox near their huts, Ray responded by stating that this matter along with any others raised at the meeting which could not be satisfactorily answered by the committee would be forwarded to TDC in a formal letter asking for a full response, and if necessary followed up at a meeting of the Chairs of all Beach Hut Associations in Tendring with TDC, due to be held in November.
G section A member reported that Taps C14/16 were not working. This problem had been noted by other members. Ray was of the opinion that this whole issue would be sorted following the completion of the cliff stabilisation project. Query to be forwarded to TDC.
Bin Collections: A member suggested that a large refuse bin should be provided to replace the existing bins which when used soon became full and were often not emptied. To be forwarded to TDC
Access Gates to slopes: A member reported that she had discovered the gate to York Road slope (E Section) open with the open padlock lying on the ground. To be reported to TDC although not sure what other steps could be taken, it is the responsibility of the person obtaining access to re lock the gate when leaving.
Financial Report: A member mentioned that at the AGM he understood that a deficit of £900 had been reported and asked if the Association was short of money. Ray reassured him that the figure related to the excess of expenditure over income for the year in question and that we had ample cash in reserve to carry on.
J Section A member mentioned that there was no hand rail on the slope from the upper to the lower prom and she considered this to be a safety problem. To be forwarded to TDC
Air Show: A member complained that from Holland Haven end where his hut was, he had been unable to enjoy the show in full and asked if representation could be made asking the organisers to arrange for the display to be extended to that area. Committee’s view was that the event was CLACTON air show and it would be unreasonable to expect the displays to be changed in this way, especially in view of current extremely tight safety controls.
There being no further questions Heather thanks members for attending, invited them to the AGM on May 9th 2020 and invited them to partake of the buffet which had been prepared.
The meeting was formally closed at 4.10pm
The weather has been kind to us this year again and we've had a
wonderful summer. I appreciate that some of our huts have been out of
action while the stabilization of the cliffs has taken place, but that work
is now finished and the huts replaced for us to use again. A big
inconvenience for some but very necessary. Let us hope that is it
regarding major works to our sea front!
It seems that the latest issue we have is sand on the lower promenade
which is causing problems for those using wheels for access,
pushchairs, wheelchairs, mobility scooters and even cyclists!
Tendring District Council are very aware of this, and are currently
investigating the best way of dealing with the problem. The solution is
bound to involve money and the Council have limited funds as we know.
Holland on Sea Residents Association are also on the case and
some of their members have had their shovels out but it is a big battle
with nature as every time the wind blows there's more sand!
We should remember though that before the beaches were replenished
5/6 years ago, that at high tide it was impossible to get down on to the
lower promenade due to the water being right up to the cliff and in the
winter a lot of the contents of the huts had to be taken home to keep
When I bought my hut 5 years ago, the previous owner advised me not
to keep anything in the front three quarters of it at any time of year and
keep everything covered in huge plastic bags as well.
So one big challenge is solved and now there is the next one - nature
will always have the last word!
The end of the season saw Clacton's air show display again which
despite not having the Red Arrows this year was very successful and
brought the usual huge crowds to the area. I love the buzz at this time
of the year with lots of people enjoying themselves.
Our security company Community Guard continue wlth their random
nightly patrols between 7pm and 7am and their presence ensures that
incidents are kept to a minimum. However Community Guard are
constantly being harassed by Holland Residents Association about the
sand issues, this is not what we pay them for and they have also been
affected in having to patrol on foot as the sand is blocking their
vehicles. All complaints about the buildup of sand should be made directly to Tendring District Council.
It appears that Tendring District Council have not supplied the Police
with a list of Beach Hut owners contact details, Clacton and Holland
Beach Hut Association is happy to provide the Police with a list of our
members details and hut numbers, but only with members approval.
Obviously those who have not joined our Association will not be
passed on as we do not know their contact details.
I would like to thank the existing committee members for their help and
support, their help is invaluable as well as their enthusiasm. However we are
all volunteers and have busy lives and other commitments as well. Teresa
Ryland has told us she is resigning and I am considering resigning at the
AGM next year so we need more volunteers to come forward, otherwise we
cannot run the Association with just two Committee members, Ray Lafferty and lan Neville.
What commitment is involved? - well the committee meets several times a
year, one of us attends the Tendring District Council Beach Hut Associations
Meetings when they are held, a max of four a year; and planning and running
the AGM and End of Season Meetings. The Association holds a mobile
phone which is rotated around the committee, and that is it.
Please speak to me or any other committee member if you would like any
more information or even better, like to help on the committee.
AS AT 31st MARCH 2020
Office Equipment 386 412
Cash at bank 8644 9863 Prepaid expenditure 142 142
8786 10005 CREDITORS:amounts falling due within one year
Sundry Creditors 383 335 Subscriptions received in advance 2160 1680
6243 7990 TOTAL ASSETS LESS
CURRENT LIABILITIES 6629 8402
CAPITAL AND RESERVES
Balance brought forward 8402 9334
(Deficit) for the year (1773) (932)
MEMBERS FUNDS 6629 8402
In accordance with the engagement letter dated 11 May 2009, we approve the financial information which comprises the Profit and Loss Account, Balance Sheet, Accounting Policies and related notes. We acknowledge our responsibility for the financial information, including the appropriateness of the accounting basis as set out in note 1, and for providing Anthony Battye with all information and explanations necessary for its compilation.
These financial statements were approved by the Management Committ ee· and signed on their behalf by
Mr R J Lafferty Treasurer
Chair Elect's Report
_I would once again like to apologise to our existing and new members for the cancellation of not only our AGM in May but now also our End of Season Meeting scheduled for 10th October as a direct result of the Covid-19 Pandemic restrictions.
We were hoping to have had a bumper season enjoying fun on the beach with the possibility of good weather and a lot of relaxation all round. This however was not to be as our freedom ceased as the Virus spread. Our hearts go out to all those members who have lost loved ones both young and those of mature age to this terrible affliction.
We thank all those who have worked tirelessly in keeping us safe as we have many members who are particularly vulnerable. We would just mention one soul in particular who was taken from us and who many of us knew as our Community Guard security patrol operative George Wright who had been with the CHBHA since 2018 acting as our principal Security Guard. He will be sadly missed and our heartfelt sympathies go out to his wife Wendy and young son Terry.
Our previous Chair Heather Davis and committee member Teresa Ryland resigned quite early in the year and have been replaced by a new committee (albeit committee Elect) consisting of myself, Pat Lafferty, Ian Neville, Ron & Pat Fry and Sue and Ken Milton.
We have been working tirelessly to try to maintain efficiency in dealing with members (existing and new) applications for membership, updating details, questions, problems and the evening security patrolling by Community Guard of beach huts blocks A-K. This has been aided by the use of an increased number of emergency phones, and the regular communications with Tendring District Council and the Clacton Police. Our thanks also go to the occasional calls from concerned citizens for the welfare of our Beach Huts.
There are however a number of outstanding Beach Hut issues levelled at TDC due to the lack of attendance by them at either of the CHBHA meetings in 2019. These issues appear on our website and were forwarded to Mike Carran on 25th October 2019. Still yet to be fully answered nearly 12 months later. We would urge either Mike Carran, Yana Humphries or Sophie O'Connor deal with them now before another year is out. This year however has not been without incidents on our beaches with the worst being that of irresponsible defecation by members of the public behind a number of beach huts.
This was duly reported to TDC and to date we have had no further reports on this type of problem. We would however ask our members to be vigilant and contact us through our website or via our Secretary at email@example.com should they have any other questions on matters such as sand, dog fouling or toilets etc.
On a lighter note we thank TDC for removing a number of huts from E block to C block due to the cliff subsidence and hope that the owners are happy with their relocation whether permanent or temporary and only swifter action by TDC to find the cause of the water leakage will presumably decide this.
Congratulations to you all on expanding our membership to approaching 300.
If any member has any questions to raise while no meetings are taking place, or if they do not have access to the website please contact the Secretary for advice.
I sincerely hope to be able to give better news when the 2021 season arrives. Until then Stay Safe and be well looking after each other as you are now.
Chair Elect and Treasurer CHBHA
Dear Member February 2021
Due to the ongoing lockdown as a direct result of the Covid-19 virus and its subsequent variants, this year has started with more severe pandemic restrictions. Its is with a heavy heart that I have to inform you all that during the latter part of 2020 and the beginning of this new year we have lost a number of our members (new and old) to this dreadful disease in addition to those already lost. I myself and all the committee wish to offer our deepest condolences to all the wives, husbands, partners, family members both young and mature for their loss. Should anyone need assistance with anything no matter what please be aware that we are here to help, even if it is just a friendly chat.
We would once again thank all those who have worked tirelessly in trying to keep us safe such as the NHS workers, Doctors and Chemists, Care Home Staff (including those having to visit). Food delivery drivers, the Army and volunteers particularly with the testing and distribution/administration of vaccines. Myself and my wife Pat being the grateful recipients of our first doses – a huge thank you must go Clacton Hospital and the NHS Staff /volunteers for all their brilliant organisational skills.
Well done to every hut member of the CHBHA (and their families) for adhering to the
UK Government restrictions. It is the only way to defeat this horror.
Thanks to all our committee members with Ian Neville our Web Master/Secretary at the helm keeping a watchful eye on all of us. Ken Milton has inherited the Treasurer’s job from myself this year. What with Ron and Pat Fry, Sue Milton (keeping an eye on
Ken), and Pat Lafferty of course keeping me in order as the Chairman we are determined to get us through this pandemic.
There are still however a number of outstanding Beach Hut issues levelled at TDC these issues still appear on our website. We would urge TDC to deal with these now before the start of the 2021 season in April.
We are grateful to those members and indeed non-members who have called via the emergency phone with hut issues from their beach walks as have been able to contact the owners where appropriate. Please contact us through our website via our Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org
if you have other issues.
If any member has any questions to raise or if they do not have access to our website you can contact us on the emergency phone no. 07931 082586 as unfortunately our meetings are not allowed to take place again this year.
We do thank TDC however for removing a large number of Huts from E Block to the new concrete standing available at C Block (opposite the Kingscliff hotel) to allow for the clearance of the subsequent slope subsidence/greenery.
Further to the two virtual Zoom meetings that I have attended with TDC. the first in October 2020 when all Beach Hut Associations were present however we are still awaiting the minutes of that from TDC as they chaired that meeting. The second was a one to one with myself Yana Humphries and Scott from Seafronts together with two new staff members in December 2020 we again have still not yet received minutes from that meeting from TDC.
We were informed however that all those huts removed temporarily from E Block and located at C Block will be moved back to their original place in E as TDC are putting on new huts which will be for renting out by them. Members affected will be identified by letter from TDC.
I hope to be able to offer up better news when the 2021 hut season opens in April.
Stay safe all of you and look after those who are well including those of us who unfortunately not so well.
Chairman of the CHBHA